The main objective of this section is to provide services to HQ DGBR and all
its Projects/Task Forces on budgetry matters. The expenditure of Border Roads
Organization is met out of the budget estimates of Ministry of Road Transport
& Highways, under Grant No. 80. The budget estimates of Border Road are
prepared based on targets assigned to the Border Roads for the ensuing year in
the particular sphere of activity i.e. works, maintenance, etc. on the basis of
the financial norms adopted.Targets in respect of agency /deposit works are
fixed based on the funds placed/ deposited by these agencies.
Functions & duties
The Budget Section deals with the following items of works:
- To keep record of appropriation approved by the parliament and communicated
by Ministry of Defence (Finance) and watch progress of expenditure.
- To deal with cases received from DGBR regarding
appropriation/re-appropriation and distribution of budgetary grants to lower
- Authorization of cash assignments.
- Cases relating to authorization of imprest.
- Noting of charged expenditure sanctions and to watch expenditure against
- Submission of monthly expenditure statement to CCA(MORT&H) with copies
to DGBR, Secy. BRDB, Addl. FA MOD (Finance), CGDA office & IFA (BR) which
is followed by an analysis of MES wherein Usually High Expenditure and
Unusually Low Expenditure in the Heads of Accounts is furnished to the HQ
- Noting of bills in respect of HQ DGBR received from Pay-Section to watch
expenditure against allotment.
- Cash requirement estimates as required by MOD (Finance).
- Estimates of Pension and other retirement benefit as required by Grant No.
20 & 39 MH 2071 as required by PCDA (P) Allahabad.
- Shri K. Balasubramanian, Sr.Accounts Officer
- Shri Joginder Singh, Asst. Accounts Officer
Frequently Asked Questions
- What are the types of works executed by the BRO?
There are three types of works executed by the BRO:-
- General Staff (GS) Works – These are executed for the Army, as planned and
projected by the Ministry of Defence (MOD), through the Military Operations
Directorate (MO Dte) for the Army.
- Agency Works – These are executed for the Ministry of Road Transport &
Highways (MORT&H), the MOD (Air force & Navy), Army (OP Works) other
Central Government Ministries and Central Government Agencies like the North
Eastern Council (NEC), State Govts.
- Deposit Works – These are executed Public Sector Undertakings and private
- How the requirement of funds for the Border Roads Organization is met?
The requirement of funds for the Border Roads Organization is met from three
- Budget received from different Ministry of Road Transport & Highways
under Demands for Grants for General Staff Works for the Army.
- Allotments received from different Ministries of the Central Government and
Central Government and state govt. agencies for Agency works, undertaken on
- Deposits received in the form of cheques/drafts for deposit works proposed
to be executed for autonomous bodies, private parties and PSUs.
- What are the points seen while authorizing Cash Assignment to Pojects/TFs?
The cash assignment cases are received as Per BE during the beginning of the
financial year and as per RE at the close of the financial year. Budget Section
notes down the allotments given by the HQ DGBR to the Projects and also the
Task force wise distribution of funds made by the Projects. The following
points are examined while releasing the cash assignment-:
- That the Cash Assignment demand is based on the actual allotments available
with the Project/Task Force.
- The demands received on quarterly basis are examined and after performing
prescribed deductions as per HQ DGBR office vide letter No.
22641/CA/GEN/2008-09/DGBR/10/E5B dated 01.08.2008 the balance allotment
available for release of cash assignment is worked out.
- The additional demand for cash assignment without budgetary provisions for
payment of GPF, encashment of EL, pensionery benefit etc. is considered as per
demand for cash assignment submitted by the Project/Task Force/Formation.
- The demand for cash assignment in respect of Task Force/Formation should
invariably be sanctioned (not Recommended) by the Chief Engineer Project as per
Para 97 of OM Part XIII. On the same lines the demand for cash assignment in
respect of the Chief Engineer (Project) should be sanctioned by the HQ DGBR.
- Only actual allotments available with the Project/Task Force/Formation are
taken into account while preparing the CA demand. Demand of CA prepared on the
basis of Projected BE/RE can not be acted upon. Demands on the basis Projected
BE/RE result into avoidable delay.
- Task Force wise distribution of allotment made by Projects should invariably
be attached with the demand.
- The details of outsourced works/execution contract/LA/FA payments should be
attached with the demand as no deduction towards adjusted expenditure shall be
made on this.
- Cash assignment for payments to attached personnel at HQCE (Project) should
be catered for by HQCE(Project). However, in case of PNR Coy Personnel,
expenditure is debitable to Task Forces and hence, a reduction will have to be
reflected in the cash assignment demand of the Task Forces.
- The amount of Deposit for Agency/Deposit Works shown in the demand should
match the amount of deposit shown in the monthly report submitted by AO Task
- The demands for cash assignment w.r.t. actual allotment and other necessary
requirements as elaborated above are vetted by the AO(Project)/Task
- What are the Major Heads of Accounts under which the budget estimates are to
General Staff (GS) Heads (Non Plan)
||Sectt. Economic Service (HQ DGBR)|
||Roads and Bridges of Strategic Border Roads|
||Capital Outlay on Roads and Bridges|
||Roads and Bridges National Highways|
||Grants-in-aids for Central Plan Schemes|
||Capital Outlay on Roads and